Regulated mods like the Eleaf iStick Series often come with “disposable” batteries that are not easily replaceable. They are usually sealed into the vaping device with an approximate lifespan of two to three years. Most of them are lithium polymer (LiPo) batteries, and changing them requires some special safety tips.
(Courtesy of Neogaf.com)
- Be careful when handling your box mod. The protection around the LiPo batteries usually consists of a thin aluminum foil casing that is very easy to damage. If you accidentally drop the mod, be sure to place the device in a sealed metal container immediately.
- Use the proper coils. Check the manual to determine the ohm limitations of the coils that you can purchase. Never go below the recommended range, especially when sub ohm vaping.
- Safe storage of your box mod is essential. Avoid resting the device on a flammable surface, like your mattress or on a nearby sofa cushion.
- Don’t try to go for the cheaper alternatives. Always purchases authentic replacements and box mods from authorized dealers. Never buy from second-hand websites.
- Most industry insiders recommend unscrewing the tank during the night when not in use for extra safety.
- Avoid placing the mod in direct sunlight for extended periods of time, like on your car’s dashboard or on the kitchen counter below a sunny window. The excess sunlight can heat your vaping device to levels that can become extremely dangerous rather quickly.
- Make sure that the power output of the mod matches the charging cable. If the USB charger has a higher voltage capacity than the disposable battery, then the mod can short circuit or overheat. The best power cable is always the one included in the original packaging.
- Be careful of overcharging. Even though many mods have a built-in cut-off once the device reaches the fully charged capacity, these functions sometimes fail while causing them to catch on fire. Never charge the mod overnight, always charge with the device in full view at all times.
- For extra safety, dispose of the dead batteries safely once they reach the end of their life cycles. Most local grocery stores offer dedicated recycling bins at no cost.
Regulated mods are increasing in popularity, especially among newbie vapers. Even though many of these are marketed as completely “safe” products, any electronic device has the potential to malfunction. Follow these simple tips for both improved personal safety and to increase the lifespan of your vape mods.